Monday, September 26, 2011

An Upgrade and a Downer

Monday, Monday.  Can't touch that day.  My grade 6 teacher used to sing that song almost every week.  Now when I have a crummy Monday, I think back to that song. 

So my nights are starting to all be the same.  I go to bed around 1am after my monitoring is done.  Then its tossing and turning and up and down for the bathroom then I usually resort to turning the tv back on to try and relax again after getting so frustrated with the ups and downs.  Then sometime around 3am I finally feel like sleeping and fall asleep in the next hour.  Then at 4am my nurse comes in to take my BP and temp then I am left alone for a couple hours til my first resident comes in to ask q's and check my breathing, heart sounds, check for tummy tenderness and any swelling in my legs.  then an hour or so later my second resident comes in to do the exact.  Same.  Thing!  WHY?!?!?  I don't get it. 

Then I go back to sleep and am usually left alone til I wake up around 10.  But today was different.

Last night, I got moved to the one and only double suite in the unit.  It is about twice as big but about 20 years behind in decor.  I think I liked my smaller, renovated room better but whatever.  Marsha, my night nurse, said that they'll give me the suite since I am the one on the floor that will probably be here the longest.  I asked her about the other expecting mother with twins who had been here for 5 weeks and was supposed to be here til the end of her pregnancy.  Well, she delivered over the weekend!  Poor little babies.  She was only around 28 weeks.  I joked that maybe I shouldn't go to her room, maybe bad ju-ju, and send me into labor as well.  But Marsha assured me the room was fine.  So in I went. 

Back to this morning.  So I went back to sleep and woke up abruptly to my bed being reshaped.  I pulled off my eye mask to find a new ultrasound tech setting my bed up.  I told her that she should have woke me up.  She said that I was sleeping so soundly that she thought I might sleep through the scan.  Seriously?!?!  Yes, rearrange my bed, strip me of my blankets, goop up my belly with cold jel and poke and prod at my abdomen for 15 minutes because I totally would have slept through that.  Lady, I had ear plugs in; I wasn't in a coma!  Needless to say, I wasn't impressed.  Thankfully, the babies were cooperating and it was a quick scan.  My breakfast had been delivered already and I was hungry so I ate quickly then went back to sleep til 1130. 

But today has been a downer.  It never helps when I wake up here in a bad mood because then I am cranky and just want to go home.  I went to get in the shower and the head was broken.  It just seemed like everything was falling apart and I was done.  So I wasn't in the best mood today and very emotional.  I just burst out crying during my lunch blessing on the food and was on the verge of tears all afternoon. I had another nap for most of the afternoon then had a visitor which was a really great pick me up. 

I have finished my dinner now and am feeling much better.  I can survive another day.  Even though I am so over being pregnant.  I am just uncomfortable all the time.  This poor tummy of mine. I had to give my skin a pep talk to endure just a couple more weeks and then we would have some relief.  My hips hurt.  I waddle.  I'm tired of wearing this tent of a hospital gown.  I need a manicure, a pedicure, my hair colored and cut, a massage and my make up done.  I want to sleep in my own bed, go outside whenever I want, and be woken up not by new strangers every night but by two little sweetpeas who want to eat and have a snuggle.  I know that when I go home with these babies, it's going to be really, really hard.   But I am ready for that "trial" and am so over this one. 

2 comments:

Carolyn Quebe Williams said...

You can do it! I am so in shock with all your little family has endured over the past months. Stay strong and happy.

Lori said...

Call me, no matter what time! I probably would have hopped in the car and come over! Love you!