Thursday, September 15, 2011

A Small world in a big hospital

The day started off with an ultrasound at 9am.  Both babies are still doing well but baby girl's fluid is below 2cm which puts her in the below average range for fluid.   No need to panic.  She can still survive and be fine with that and it doesn't mean that i'll be going into labor anytime but I have been chugging water all day to try and boost it back up.  Today was the first morning that I woke up really thirsty too so I'm not too surprised that it was low.  I'll bring it back up to a safer, better level- no problem. 

Then around noon Karen, my new chiropractor came in and I loved her from the moment I opened the door.  She's got this great energy and this chic hippie vibe.  We hit it off instantly.  She gave me some pointers on how to do more effective inversions (the best one I need help with so I have to wait til Dallin comes to visit) but I can still do one in my bed. Then she adjusted my neck, hips and ligaments and it felt soooooo good. 

A few minutes after she left, Nicole came in.  She is the acupuncturist.  I was so excited that I got the go ahead for both of them to come in and treat me.  She is wonderful as well.  Today's treatment was a lifting treatment to get the babies up, the ligaments open so that they have the space to move head down.  I love acupuncture!  It feels so great to have those points energized and the babies started reacting within the first few needles being inserted.  I had about 10 needles in- feet, legs, forearms, behind my ears and one on the top of my head.  For the record, if the thought of this is making you want to throw up, you don't even feel the needles being inserted.  An acupuncture needle can actually fit through the whole of a normal needle.  They are that thin.  It can feel like a little mosquito nip when its inserted just because you are alerting that energy point.  But it is not uncomfortable at all.  It feels good! 

Anyway, the second part of the treatment is to put a chinese herb on my baby toes called moxa.  Then she takes a coal wick and places it close to the moxa to  create heat. Once I feel the heat, I tell her and she pulls it away.  The babies are supposed to feel the heat and turn and swim towards the heat.  I know, sounds fishy, pun intented BUT turning babies with acupuncture has been proven to be more effective than external version.  This was proven in an article in some British medical journal.  So don't knock it til you try it!  Or see it to believe it.  Which you will because I know these babies are going to turn. 

My midwife Georganna showed up during acupuncture.  she is friends with both Karen and Nicole so she is the reason I get to work with them.  She stayed and visited for about an hour after the treatment. 

Once I got back to my room from walking her to the elevator, things got interesting.  I checked my email to find out that a family from the ward is here in the hospital with their 8 year old undergoing surgery!  Ped ICU is on my floor so I texted my friend to see if she wanted some company while they waited for surgery to be over.  Meanwhile, another knock at my door and it's Bishop Thompson, the anathesiologist who worked on Dallin.  He came in to visit and when I mentioned this family, he said that he and Suh just finished working on this little girl from my ward.  Somehow Suh knew that I was here and so he came to say hi.  Small small world.  Everything went fine with the little girl and after a short visit, Thompson left and supper was delivered.  While I was eating, my friend popped in to visit and we had a  great talk about how incredible it is to be able to lean on the priesthood during times like this and trust in the Lord that everything will work out.  Her daughter will be in the hospital for at least a week so we will be able to visit back and forth and she is going to be just fine. 

So it's been a busy day for company and progress in turning these bubbas.  Tomorrow is Friday already.  I've been here almost a week.  Time is going by rather quickly and each extra day for these babies to bake is such a huge blessing.

No comments: