Monday, September 12, 2011

Turn Babies, Turn!

Rough night last night.  I still don't know if I actually ever fell asleep.  I got enough rest but I woke up cranky because just as I finally felt like I was drifting out, the nurses started coming in and the floor started waking up and then my breakfast came almost an hour early and then the ultrasound tech came in.  I just wanted to be sleeping for another hour! 

Anyway, so I had a lot of fluid leak last night.  But the doctor, Dr. Baker, Royek's partner, said that the amount doesn't really mean anything.  Other symptoms like infection, contractions or abdominal pain means that something might happen.  But last night was really scary.  For a few minutes there I really thought I was going into labor and that was it.  I chugged a protein shake, a granola bar, some water and prayed like crazy.  And soon enough, the contractions/cramps stopped and I felt much better. 

Back to the ultrasound- both babies are transverse and baby girl is really low down, face down, curled up.  The tech couldn't get many measurements from that position and she was sleeping and didn't want to move much or practice her breathing.  But we finally got her to do both after much prodding, unfortunately.  She seemed about as tired as I was. 

Baby boy was totally the opposite- he moved around and booted at the camera and even stuck his foot down into her shots a couple times.  We saw him practice breathing and we finally got a great profile shot of him.  I'll send it home with Dallin today to scan and I'll post tomorrow.  But he is a cutie alright! 

Fluids in both sacs are fine but she is the one that is leaking.  That is quite typical of twins for the bottom one to be the one that leaks.  Especially with a chunka-chunka brother laying on top of her!  Check out these weights:

She weighs 3 lbs and 12 ounces.  Baby brother-drum roll please- 4 lbs 11 ounces!!!!  He's pretty much a pound heavier!  It is totally safe for them to be this different since they are di-di twins, both with their own sacs and placentas.  So it's not like he's stealing her nutrients.  He's just bigger.  Again, typical of a male twin. 

So we really need to get them to turn.  Dr. Baker is doubtful since there are two in there and really starting to run out of room.  But I am not giving up yet.  I will fight to the last minute to avoid a section.  He is going to check hospital policy to see if I can have an acupuncturist to come in.  There are some amazing stories of turning babies with acupuncture and my midwife works close with one who has had several successes.  Hopefully we will be able to try it.  I am also going to be doing alot of inverse laying in bed, feet up and drawing the twins down and giving them room to change directions. 

Please, please pray for them to turn.  I think that if they did turn it would help heal the leak quicker too because they would go from laying on top of each other to some sort of laying side by side and the lesser pressure would give the leak a chance to heal.  At least that is what I think.  It makes sense to me.  So that is my focus.  Turn, turn, turn. 

1 comment:

Emily Crowe said...

Holy Moly your babies are big! Mine was just a little over 2lbs at 28 weeks last week. You're boy is more than double that ;) Hoping babies turn and the leaking stops ASAP!