Friday, September 30, 2011

The Twins Have Arrived

Nevea Juliet Dean (pronounced Ne-VAY-ah)
was born on Thursday, September 29 @ 2:31pm. 
She weighed in at 5 lbs and measured 17 inches long. 


Her brother, Ammon Liam Dean was born at 2:35pm.
He tipped the scales at 6lbs, 4 oz and measured 18 inches long. 




Here's the full story-

I was in the middle of a dream early Thursday morning when I became aware I was having a contraction.  I woke up, went to the bathroom, got my vitals checked and tried to go back to sleep.  But the contractions kept coming so I called the nurse and she put me on the monitor.  I kept having to go to the bathroom which is another sign I was in labor.  I called Dallin to give him the heads up then called him back at 630 to make plans to come in because something was going on. 

I was checked at 8am and was at a 2.  This kind of surprised me because most of the contractions were strong enough I thought I would be father ahead.  They kept me on the monitor for the morning, I kept going to the bathroom and at 1pm I was at a 4.  They gave me a quick ultrasound to verify the babies positions and baby girl was still breech so delivery would be a Csection. 

I was disappointed and a little confused and of course saddened but at the same time I knew that there was a reason they had to be born this.  Lori, my amazing RS president and friend had come in around noon and she played the mama role for me which I will be forever grateful for.  We couldn't have done it without all her help and support. 

Things moved very quickly after that.  Anesthesia came in to explain the procedure and what was about to happen once I got back in the OR.  We had called Dr. Thompson AKA Bishop Thompson earlier that morning to give him the heads up so that he could be the one to work with us.  He had come in earlier to explain how an epidural was administered etc.  When he came back with his team, he and Dallin gave me a quick blessing and within minutes we were out the door and down the hall to the OR. 

I was in tears from the time the ultrasound was performed until I was moved to the operating room.  It was a mixture of emotions-fear, sadness, anxiety and just overall emotional drama.  But Dr/Bishop was great.  I was so glad to have a priesthood holder in charge of such a pivotal part of the procedure.  (If the name rings a bell, yes, he is the same doc that worked with Dallin in his surgery).  He walked me through the whole process which was a bit unpleasant but not as bad as I had thought it was going to be. 

Once the meds were in and starting to warm my legs, I was quickly laid down on the table and prepped.  I still cannot believe how quick it all happened.  Within minutes, they had opened me up and were prepping to remove the babies.  They brought Dallin in and Dr/Bishop continued to tell me what was going on on the other side of the sheet.  By then my shaking had subsided for the most part and excitement started to take over.  It is a weird sensation to be awake and feel the tugs and pulls on your body but feel no pain, just awkward movement and manipulation.

Dallin watched as Nevea came out butt first.  We love the joke that she entered the world mooning her dad.  haha!  She cried within seconds and was whisked away next door to the heater.  We could hear her crying in there which impressed everyone because that rarely happens, especially for someone this early.

Ammon was a bit trickier to get out.  He was stuck up under the placenta and they really had to push and pull on me to get him out.  I think I might get bruising on my ribs from where he was tucked under.  Four minutes later, he was out too.  He had a bit of a rougher start.  His color was off and he wasn't breathing too well.  They brought Nev back for me to see before they took her back to the warmer.  I never saw Ammon because he had to be placed on oxygen.

The closing up process was really uncomfortable.  When everything was done and they had to put my uterus back in (I know, ew.  I didn't think that happened either until they told me that was what they were doing) I couldn't bare the discomfort.  This began at the time when they took Dallin to go be with Ammon.  At first I didn't want him to leave but I am glad he did because I was not in a good place over the next few minutes and am glad he didn't see me like that.  Still no pain but really, really awkward pressure and feeling.  Part of me was freaking out and the other part was telling myself- I am okay.  I am okay.  They gave me a drug to relax me via an oxygen mask and that was the trippiest dream I have ever had.  I was conscious but not really.  I seriously felt like I was falling though the hole in Alice in Wonderland.  It was beyond bizarre.  Thankfully, it was only about 15 minutes because I came back to reality and they were stitching me up.  I was trying really hard to focus and resume normalcy.  I heard the one nurse say she wasn't going to have any fingers left.  I apologized and promised her I owed her a manicure.  Then I started talking about how much I wanted some sushi.  I could tell the nurses were exchanging looks and getting a kick out of my drug induced comments but I was fully aware of what I was saying.  I really wanted sushi!  I hadn't been able to eat it for months and after enduring that procedure, I felt like I deserved any meal I wanted. 

Finally, all was done and they transferred me back to my hospital bed and pushed me into recovery.  I stayed there an hour.  Dallin and Lori took turns visiting with me.  Ammon was doing better and both babies were set up in the NICU.  After an hour, I was rolled down to my new room.  Dallin and Lori moved all my stuff over from where I had previously been staying and we rested, had dinner and they visited the babies.  Dallin left around 8 and Lori stayed the night with me.  My pain was minimal.  In fact, I was quite comfortable.  I was on a liquids diet which wasn't any fun and it definitely wasn't sushi.  But anything was better than the nothing I had eaten all day. 

At 4, they woke me up to take out my catheter and get me on my feet.  It went a lot better than I thought.  Not really pain, just discomfort.  I tried going to the bathroom then I finally got to go and see my babies.  Both were in open bassinets no longer needing heaters.  Ammon had an oxygen tube under his nose but only on a minimal dose and they figured he'd be off it by morning.  Both were sleeping so I couldn't hold them but it was good enough to see them, say hello and touch their sweet faces. 

Dallin was back to the hospital at 1030.  We headed to the NICU because I was given permission to breastfeed both twins!  This is huge for preemies their age.  Usually, they don't have the sucking reflex yet nor the ability to eat and breathe at the same time.  But both got clearance.  I was so excited!  Ammon got to go first.  He did pretty well, considering the complications he had began with.  He was more interested in staying asleep but I loved being able to just snuggle and talk to him.  He sure is a cutie!  Looks a lot like how Dace did when he was born.  Nev woke up and Dallin got to do diaper duty (he had changed Ammon's too before his feeding) then they got to snuggle before it was her turn to eat.  She eats like a champ!  Just like a newborn.  I am so excited!  The nurse was impressed with both of their abilities.  Dallin says to me- Isn't this fun?!  We don't have to share!

We stayed with them for an hour and a half before I had to go the bathroom and was getting tired enough that I needed to lie down.  So we came back and had lunch and both worked on computers and that brings you up to date the present moment. 

We are beyond grateful for the miracle that is their improvement and growth.  The nurse thinks they will be out of the NICU within a couple days, going down a step to Level 2 which is wonderful.  We're not sure when we'll be able to take them home but I think it will be sooner than most of the staff think, because they are bouncing back so well.  Dallin calls them the bullies of the NICU because they are easily the biggest babies in there.  Most others are in the 2-4 pound range so our little tanks are definitely ahead of the curve.  And once my milk comes in and they start eating regularly, they'll pack on that weight so quick and we will be home in  no time. 

Please keep the prayers coming.  This miracle isn't over yet....

Mama meeting daughter for the first time. 

Sorry it's a little blurry.  Dallin in two words- absolutely smitten.  She's already a daddy's girl.  She woke up as soon as he started talking to her. 

Ammon's milk mustache.  He was too sleepy to eat nicely.  :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Bro. & Sis. Dean!

Allison Claire said...

Congratulations Tovah!! They are beautiful! And they are big for twins, wow! Alexis was 5 lbs 10 oz and she wasn't a twin (she was a little early though) I will keep praying for you and your cute little family!

Menolli said...

Thanks for sharing. I love catching up and hearing the story of how everything went down. I just heard tid bits from my mom about it. Im so excited for you guys. They both look so sweet. We Love you guys and are praying for them/you.

brittany said...

Tov -

I am SO excited, and I love the names! I am so excited that you have a daughter! So cute, the picture of her and Dallin. I hope you get well-rested and get feeling 100% right away. You'll probably get out of the hospital just in time for Mom and Dad - that's exciting. Love you so much.