Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Road to recovery- days 1&2

I won't write a report on a daily basis anymore but I will still keep updates on how progress is going. 

Yesterday, day 1, was a bit tough.  I was only doing the minimum with the boys and around the house, Dallin being my main focus, but by 6pm I was completely exhausted and all day I had been wondering, how am I going to do this?  I knew that the first few days were going to be tough and a bit of an adjustment so I hadn't given up yet.  I was just trying to figure out how to do everything I needed to do yet keep from getting so exhausted that I ended up on bed rest and then this family would be completely hooped. 

Dallin got up around 10 and came downstairs.  He had some breakfast and a couple family friends came over.  He received another great blessing then got his hair cut and a nice hair wash.  It must have felt like heaven after sponge baths for a week.  But the morning events tuckered him out and he spent the rest of the day in bed, in and out of sleep. 

He needed to get up out of bed at 10pm to try and relieve some pressure he was feeling in his lungs.  His hip was numb when he stood and then after sitting for a while his legs went numb too.  Once he stood up for a few seconds they were fine and we figured that it was just the way the brace pushed on his legs in that position.  Well, I dropped into bed around 11 but then started thinking that maybe something had shifted in his back and the numbness was a nerve thing.  After tossing and turning forever, I finally got up to check on him.  He said he was fine, no numbness and I checked his leg strength like the nurses did and he was fine.  1am and I was heading to bed.  I prayed that Zade would sleep at least til 6am to give me a decent stretch of sleep.  642am he started fussing.  I got up and got him a warm bottle and that knocked him out til 830, Dace getting me up just before 8.  Thank you answer to prayer! 

Today Dallin got up and came down stairs and sat at his computer and ate at the table and was upright for around 3 hours which is great.  While he was up, Zade took a nap and I laid down on the couch due to a serious wave of nausea.  Pregnancy related or just tired, I had no idea.  Again I found myself praying for help.  I needed someone to come be with the boys for a while today so that I could at least shower and get my kitchen clean.  (It was a total disaster after cooking and baking certain things for Dallin's diet for the last 2 days).  After lunch, when things were starting to get really frazzled with the boys and I was trying to deal with Dallin's infected IV site, Marilyn came to the door with a watermelon and to do my dishes.  About a half hour after that, Monica and her daughter Emery showed up.  Emery played with the boys for the rest of the afternoon and Monica, who is an RN, checked Dallin's wounds and answered a ton of our questions.  Again, thank you answer to prayer!  I got a shower in, Zade went down for another nap and I even got a few minutes of down time to relax now that my kitchen was spotless and every dish cleaned and put away.  I felt totally renewed in energy and resolve that yes, I can do this!  As long as I get a lot of help along the way!

So yes Dallin has an infection at his IV site.  I've been doing hot compresses all day and we'll get him a prescription tomorrow but please pray that it will clear up really quick and that all his bodily systems will be strengthened and return to normal. 

He really is doing so great.  He might not see it and I can sense his impatience at times but he doesn't improve unless it is by leaps and bounds.  I think a week from now we'll look back in shock at just how far he's come in 7 days.  Please keep the emails and cards and encouragement coming.  They are greatly appreciated and much needed. 

No comments: