Friday, July 1, 2011

One Step from the exit door

Well Happy Friday to everyone!  It was a big day here in the memorial hospital, Dallin Dean suite.

A lot of people have been asking how me and the boys are doing so I will give a quick update on us before getting back to the main star.  Dace is doing great.  He understands why daddy is away and is loving all his play dates every day with his buddies.  Zade has been teething and we have had 2 rough nights back to back.  He was up 4 times last night and his poor gums feel like little marbles.  I think every molar is trying to break through simultaneously.  4 have already come through.  When he woke up at 550am for the fourth time, I don't think I could feel my legs as i stumbled downstairs to get a bit of milk for him.  He crashed a few minutes later in my bed and just as i was falling asleep, Dace started crying.  I told Heavenly Father that I can handle everything that is on my plate right now but I can't do it if I can't get any sleep.  Dace came to bed and Zade woke up and the day started but Zade went back to bed at 730 and I got a nice nap in on the couch til 915 while Dace watched Mighty Machines and played trains.  A very needed answer to prayer.

So once we were all up and dressed and out the door, I dropped the boys off and got to the hospital around 1145.  Dallin was up in his chair reading on the computer.  We had a whole team of doctors and nurses come in, it totally felt like a scene from Greys Anatomy- 2 attendings and about 4 interns.  And one even looked like George, I'm not even kidding! (if you don't watch the show, that comment makes no sense and I apologize.)  The docs checked the chest tube and said it was possible it could come out today, made some more jokes about making Dallin a sister wife from his lost rib then moved on.  Shortly after, a nurse came back and said the tube was coming out.  Yay!  I helped Dallin back into bed (which he can manoever quite well on his own) and got his brace off.  Dr. Suh ( I love that man!) came back in for a quick check up and took me away to see Dallins scans.  I'm going to do up a couple sketches and post here tomorrow so that this all makes more sense to you.  but it is amazing what can be done these days to rebuild a human being!  When I got back to the room, the chest tube was out.  The nurse was just bandaging up his incision so I got to see it and she said it is looking amazing.  Dallin loves hearing that word, I don't blame him and he hears it several time a day.  Yup, I'm married to superman....or wolverine.  Dallin was ready for lunch so I got him set up then did my daily trip to the cafeteria.  He was so much more comfortable and able to breathe that much better with that last tube gone.  Happy boy.

After lunch, Dallin and I dozed a bit then it was time for physio.  I helped him get into his brace (might as well practice) and got him seated in his chair so he was all ready and waiting when the nurses showed up.  They were so impressed!  then he was up on his feet and we did a lap all the way down the long hall to the elevators then back to the room.  No sweat, easy peazy. 

He stayed in his chair while I got the bed and we both had a little power up snooze then had some company.  Mark and Mike came by with chocolate goodies for everyone.  Dr./ Bishop Thompson popped in as well at one point and I felt like I should leave the room so they could have an elders quarum meeting or something.  haha!  Then it was time for me to switch hats, kiss my hubby goodbye and go pick up the boys and re-enter mamaville.  I hit traffic leaving the hospital and it took me over 20 minutes to drive the 3 blocks to the freeway.  Happy long weekend. 

There is a big chance that Dallin will come home tomorrow.  It depends on how his chest xray looks in the morning, if things are doing fine without the drain and weaning him off the pain pump and making sure that his Rx will be sufficient.  He is ready to leave but does not want to rush it either.  Because once he leaves, he doesn't want to come back.  At least not until his checkup, 2 weeks from now.  Fingers crossed and prayers being said that if it is right, I'll be able to bring him home tomorrow. 

On a sidenote, the first of the bills arrived on Wednesday.  The ambulance ride that Dallin took from HH hospital to Memorial rang in at a whopping $912.  I find it funny that a 40 minute drive that I have done 10 times and counting this week cost almost double what it did for our whole family to fly round trip to Salt Lake.  ha!  Hilarious....gotta laugh so you don't cry, right?  uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....yeah......

And on that note, a laughing one, here is a closing story that Mark sent me to continue the missing rib jokes-


Adam was walking around the Garden of Eden feeling very lonely, so God asked Adam, "What's wrong with you?"
Adam said, "I don't have anyone to talk to."
God said, "I will give you a companion and it will be a woman." He said, "This person will cook for you and wash your clothes, she will always agree with every decision you make, she will bear your children and never ask you to get up in the middle of the night to take care of them.
"She will not nag," God continued, "and will always be the first to admit she was wrong. When you've had a disagreement, she will never have a headache and will freely give you love and passion whenever needed."
Adam asked God, "What will a woman like this cost?"
God said, "An arm and a leg!"
Adam said, "What can I get for just a rib?"

No comments: