Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Miracle Man

Everyone was shocked and amazed to see Dallin at church on Sunday.  He went early for meetings and when I got there with the boys and sat down, even I got choked up at how incredible he looked up there.  He is looking so good!  I had several people comment to me that day that they had witnessed a miracle by seeing him sitting on the stand barely 2 weeks after breaking his back.  Others commented that, "Wow!  He really is Wolverine!" 

It's amazing to see both sides of this trial.  I have lived and still live with the struggle that it is for our family but I am also blessed enough to see how it is blessing us and those around us.  So many people have willingly served and there is no one who has been here the last 2 weeks that can't say- I have witnessed a miracle.  Because we all have.  It still leaves me speechless that he fell 20 feet and out of the 206 bones in his body, he only compressed one.  ONE!!!!!  The surgeons also explained to us that because of Dallin's height and long torso his spinal cord ends sooner than most people's, thereby giving him some breathing room for when the L1 pushed into the cord.  Translation- any other man of average height or less would have been paralyzed, it is almost for certain.  The Lord may not have saved him from that fall but angels certainly were guiding him down to the easiest outcome possible.  I am speechless still.  This has been an incredible testimony builder for all of us.  It is wonderful to see how an amazing ward family has grown even closer through all of this. 

Dallin had his first physio appt today and his therapist called him an animal.  He said that most people aren't even out of bed yet, 2 weeks after a break like this.  I think Dallin spent 1 full day in bed after the surgery and has been up little by little ever since.  Jason, his therapist, said that he is well advanced already in his recovery.  Dallin's miraculous recovery continues to blow the minds of all the medical practioners that see him.  He likes that.  ;)

And tomorrow the staples come out.  I share the following photo with permission.  Dallin wanted me to take it specifically for the blog.  It's going to be one beauty of a scar but chicks dig scars, right?  I dig it and I'm the only chick that matters, so there.  The two wounds above are from his chest tubes. 

No comments: