Thursday, June 23, 2011

How I Knew

This story starts a long time ago, about 15 years to be exact.  I still remember this as clear as day.  I was about 14 years old.  One day, I came into the kitchen and my dad was making a sandwich.  Whether it was lunchtime or it was before school and he was making lunches, I don’t remember.  “I had a dream about you last night,” he says.  “I had a dream you had 3 boys and 1 girl.”

That has always stuck with me and ever since then, I have felt like that was my number for the children I would have. 

So when our first was a boy, I wasn’t surprised.  We weren’t going to find out but then broke down at the ultrasound and sure enough, I was right.

With our second, I knew it was a boy the second I realized I was pregnant.  Again, no surprise there when my intuition was confirmed. 

This pregnancy was a little different.  First off, it was a really big surprise.  I had been going back and forth for a while if I could even handle another one.  With our current situation, we knew that a baby just wasn’t going to fit into the cards for about another year so we planned on starting to try for one at the end of summer, 2011. 

But then back in January, I was reading scriptures one night before bed when I heard a little voice- “It’s my turn, mama.”  I felt like it was a girls voice but I wasn’t completely sure.  But to hear it so distinctly took me by surprise, especially since we had only recently agreed that we’d wait until the end of summer. 

A few weeks after that, we were coming back from the movies with Mark and Lisa.  Somehow having babies came up and I jokingly made the comment that if God had 2 more for me, he better send them together because I had decided that I only wanted to have one more. 

But the idea of twins started following me.  I was thinking about them so much that I even asked my midwife about their twin policy even though I wasn’t pregnant yet nor did I plan on being any time soon. 

A week after asking Jill that question, I learned I was pregnant. 

At first, I felt like it was a girl.  The girl name that I found and was in love with would not leave my head.  And whenever I thought back to that little voice I had heard, it seemed like it was her that had spoken to me. 

Then the crazy hunger hit.  Remember when I blogged about this and first predicted twins?  You can read it here.  Some nights getting up 2 or 3 times to eat just because I was so insanely hungry, I felt like I would morph into a werewolf if I didn’t get some major calories into me asap. 

Then the dreams happened.  I remember having at least 2 dreams that I would have twins.  I talked about this on facebook.  Some of my friends remember this status post and cannot believe that I called it. 

But then the hunger subsided and I wasn’t growing any bigger than I had with a single boy so I started dismissing the twin idea.  But every now and then it would creep back up and I would entertain it, probably driving Dallin crazy with the constant flow of the rhetorical question- “But what if it is twins?” 

Then about 2 months ago, again at night reading my scriptures, this prompting came to me as clear as a voice from a person beside me- “Name your son _____.”  I honestly looked up from my book because it was such a profound voice. 

So that made me wonder- well, is this a boy then or are there two of them?  What was even more interesting is that I had no other boy names that I liked and even when trying to find one, I always came up with a blank. 

I told Dallin what had happened and after discussing it, we felt like maybe it was a way of telling us that we had to have one more, that we had to have a fourth, that there was one more waiting up there. 

Then about 3-4 weeks ago, Dallin came to me and said that he was bracing himself for another boy.  REALLY? was my repetitive question all day long.  After I accepted that, because my heart was really stuck on having a little girl, we started playing the name game.  We had the first name, how could we ever ignore the name I had been prompted, and played around with middle name options.  Same with the girl name.  We couldn’t pick a middle name for either sex which left us both on the fence.  Is it a boy or a girl?  Who knows- only time will tell. 

Two weeks ago- I had been worried for a few days because I hadn’t felt any baby movement yet and thought that I should have by now.  I started praying that I would feel the baby move and have my worries put to rest.  That Sunday night, I woke up in the middle of the night and was awake for several hours.  At one point, laying on my back with my hands on my belly trying to fall back asleep, Pow!  A strong boot directly into my right palm.  As soon as I felt it, I thought –girl. 

The following night there was movement again but it seemed to be ping ponging from one side to the other very quickly.  I thought that either she was swimming really fast laps in there or was there still a chance that there were two?????

So when those two little heads popped up on the ultrasound screen, it was a shock to realize that all those dreams and promptings and preparatory experiences had been right.  I had been right.  I wasn’t crazy.  I had always known it was twins.  The Lord had been slowly bracing me for this reality for several weeks and now I knew it for sure.  How grateful I am that He was loving enough to break the news to me slowly, bit by bit, prompting by prompting.  A few of my friends were completely blown away that I had called it from the get-go and I still shake my head to realize that I really had known all along.  I will never doubt my intuition ever again!  I am just grateful that I am in tune enough to hear and to listen and to acknowledge that communication from my Heavenly Father. 

What an incredible journey it has been already and what a wonderful story to tell these babies years from now.  And to think this is only the beginning….

PS- that first kick that I felt?  It was exactly where Baby A is positioned, where she is taking up her space. 

Both doing summersaults. 


Face on right side, looking at the camera, arms up by her head-the same way I was laying. 

Profile on right side. 

Being a little shy and not sitting still for his closeup.  head on left side, left hand up by his head. 

Taking a quick glance at the camera. 

6 comments:

Emily said...

wow that is amazing! what an incredible experience! thanks for sharing it with all of us! again, i am sooo excited for you! :)

Darci said...

Awesome, Tovah! You are going to have your hands full, but if anyone can do it...it's you!

Sarah said...

Brilliant! I love that you are so in tune with your body and the spirit.

Maria Olsen said...

That is truly an inspiring story. Congratulations, what a wonderful experience for your family. Let the fun begin. Time for a schedule. =)

FamiLee said...

Tovah that is such an awesome experience...and sends chills up my spine...it really reaminds me a lot of my experience with my twins. So so special, the Lord truly knows what each of us needs and WHO needs to be with us. So happy for you. Really twins is so neat and special. I also read all about your husband. I will pray for him, that all will be well, and regarding your delivery with the twins too, cause I know that can be a scary adventrue too. Our prayers for you and your family :)

Alishia Star said...

This is such an amazing story tovah. I'm very excited for you and dallin. Your faith and relationship with god really inspires me to open my heart more to the lord. Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful story. I'm so happy for you guys.