Monday, June 6, 2011

Color Your World

I love that I have a garden and can plant and tend to beautiful flowers all season, possibly all year long if I feel like transplanting through the change of seasons.  Now that the flowers are in and doing wonderfully, my next project is to get some potting plants going.  I want to grow lettuce, green onions, herbs, and a couple tomato plants. 

I wish I had a BEFORE picture.  I thought I took one when we first came to look at the house, but no.  Just imagine the garden with 5 years of untended weeds growing from it.  It was a bit of work to de-weed and prep for planting but I loved doing it.  Here are the AFTERs:



This was the first section I did.  It is the corner garden closest to the door.  Lisa brought me a potted petunia for a house warming gift and it has at least doubled in size since transplant.  I got a couple smaller bunches and planted around the potted one and now they have grown into each other and I love how big and full and colorful it is.  I used sea shells that I had in my craft box and pushed them into the dirt.  It looks so pretty.  /I need a better closeup to show them. 

The first corner of the path.  The sunflowers in the back will be a bit disproportionate at 4.5 feet tall but they will be beautiful and bright and yellow, Dace's favorite, and will attract all sorts of critters that he loves to watch. 

The rest of the path.  I am really happy with the color palette that I chose.  I was working with a budget and tried to stay in the clearance section of walmart.  The petunias and red velenas are all wave plants so by the end of summer they should all be grown together and surrounding the marigolds with little dirt exposed.  Can't wait to see the bed that full of blossoms.  We scooped buckets and buckets of dried up oyster shells from the shoreline to throw in the back under the bushes.  I love how it brightens it up and the idea has been a total hit with all the neighbors.  Free landscaping-can't beat that. 


Our house.  I don't think I have posted a pic of it yet. 

Next up - A serious overhaul on the grass.  It's been neglected for about 5 years too.  But we'll revive it...hopefully. 

And what's a post without a picture of our BEBs...


1 comment:

Carolyn Quebe Williams said...

Beautiful Gardens :) I LOVE plants! I have successfully kept an indoor bush alive from our wedding, but I failed in my attempts to start an herb garden...they all died! I will try again.