Tuesday, June 28, 2011

No where but Up from here

Today we went from very very low to a high.  That is the direction we want to keep going.

Dallin had a really rough night.  The pain meds weren't doing anything and he didn't get any sleep.  I got to the hospital around 11 and he was still in rough shape.  He said it was a good thing I hadn't gotten there earlier because it was rock bottom- he was wanting to die. 

Shortly after I got there, they came in with his back brace to fit it.  This made me really nervous because he was in such pain already, I didn't want him to be moved around and prodded into this thing.  It was a really painful experience but he made it through.  Dallin can usually breathe through pain but he couldn't breathe deep enough to do anything so it was just enduring. 

His great day nurse Kelly gave him some percocet before I got there and it kicked in around noon.  It usually takes about an hour to feel.  Once he felt more comfortable enough, he ate a good lunch then started drifting off.  I left him to nap while I went and ate. 

I spent the afternoon at his bedside grateful to see him dozing in and out.  He was doing so much better!  A nurse brought his brace back at 330 to make sure the changes were okay.  Thankfully they only had to place the front so that was nothing.  There had been talks in the morning that physio was going to get him on his feet today but they ran out of time with the brace needing adjustments.  An answer to prayer.  I think after the rough night and morning his body needed a good rest to build up to that challenge. 

His dinner came at 630 and I got him set up to eat and Kelly came back with another dose.  On a scale of 1-10, he said his pain was a 1!  I could not believe it!  A night and day difference from 8 hours ago.  So he took his meds and ate his dinner and was feeling really optimistic, like he was over the hump and was actually looking forward to getting up tomorrow.

It is an amazing thing to witness a miracle like today.  I am overflowing with gratitude for the changes that took place.  I could just feel all the power of all those prayers flooding into that room and aiding him and healing him.  We might not be out of the woods completely but at least after today he knows that he can get there. 

He wanted me to share a few more details about the surgery.  He is looking forward to talking with Dr. Suh and getting the play by play of how it went.  The whole thing took about 12 hours, after it was budgeted for about 3.  A doctor told me it took a lot more time than expected to actually get to the spine.  Dr. Thompson, a Bishop from Savannah that Dallin knows, is an anesthesiologist and he switched his surgeries so he could be in there with Dallin.  I found such peace knowing that the priesthood was literally in that room.  Thompson said that there were surgeons coming in and out the whole time assisting and looking at his case.  He definitely was in the best hands and was greatly taken care of. 

His left lung was deflated, a chest tube put in, then they removed the diaphragm in order to make room to get to the spine.  They used a support for his L1 that is like a car jack.  They secure it then pump it up to the right height then filled it with bone then drilled it into place.  Then replaced his organs, reinflate the lung and close. 
Dallin has had a lot of struggles with getting his breath deep enough and has a little blowing machine that he has to practice on.  Last night, he could only blow to 500.  By the time I left tonight, he could make it to almost 2000.  I am completely blown away by his progress.  Leaps and bounds. Leaps and bounds. 

He is anxious to see the boys but I can't take them to ICU.  He should be moved to a normal room tomorrow and I will take Dace up to see him Thursday.  I don't think it will be safe for Zade to visit since as soon as he sees his daddy, he will want to pounce on him for hugs.  Thankfully he is young enough to not notice or be affected too much by his absence so he'll have to wait until we bring Dallin home. 

Thank you again for all the prayers and thoughts.  Please keep them coming.  We love you all so much. 

No comments: