Monday, June 27, 2011

Surgery day

I left Dallin at about 1230.  We were both in good spirits.  He has an amazing team working on him and I know the Lord will be in that room.  He was feeling reeeeeally good on the meds and requested that the ten inch incision be sewn up to look like a railroad track so Dace can play on it.  haha!  He was serious too.  That wasn't just the drugs talking. 

At about 130, Sheila the nurse called to say they had started and things were going well.  His vitals were stable and they were looking at about 3 hours to complete.  I'll update this when I hear more.

345pm update- Sheila just called again.  Dr. Suh is in now working on the actual spine.  Everything is going just fine, Dallin is stable and staying cozy under the heated blankets.  he's being a trooper!

550pm- still in there and no update for the last couple of hours.  Starting to get a bit nervous and emotional.

615pm- finally an update from the OR.  Dr. Suh is starting to put in the hardware now.  Everything is going fine and Dallin is doing fine too.  Probably another couple hours til they are done.  Back to hulu I go.....

7pm- Dr. Suh just called me and they are done.  Everything went really well, he was able to build up the support and regain most of the height that was lost.  He was really happy with how it secured to the other bones.  They are closing up now so it might be another hour or so until he is awake and I am able to see him.  He's going to be quite sore but they'll keep him on the pain pump.  He needs to be up and moving as soon as the back brace is ready- probably in a day or two. 
Thank you again for all your prayers and thoughts and well wishes.  Please keep them coming.

11pm- 4 hours later and I still haven't seen him.  Dr. Suh was here about an hour ago and talked to me on his way out and he said Dallin was awake and talking and they were just monitoring him.  Just got a call that he has been moved to recovery, they are waiting for him to fully wake up and get him comfortable on meds before they move him back to his room THEN I can see him.  Here's hoping I am home before 2am.  I've already been here over 12 hours.  My butt is sore and these babies would like to lay down.  So would their mama. 

1 comment:

Maria Olsen said...

Glad to hear that the surgery went smoothly.