Sunday, June 26, 2011

Urgent Prayer Request

It's 1am but I can't sleep so I will post this.

We had an accident today.  Well, Dallin did.  He fell off a roof he was cleaning, fell 20 feet.  Thankfully an azalea bush broke his fall somewhat.  He landed on his feet but knew enough to give out his knees and that is probably what saved his ankles from both shattering. 

He is okay and stable.  He has a compressed fracture vertabrae (L1) and it looks like it's going to need surgery.  They were going to transport him tonight to Savannah for it but there were no beds available.  So he is staying overnight at the HH Hospital and they will move him to Sav tomorrow.  The operation should take place tomorrow or Monday. 

Dallin is a fast healer, he calls himself Wolverine.  We both believe in miracles and so maybe this delay in surgery is a blessing in disguise.  Perhaps things will improve substantially overnight so that a surgery is no longer needed.  But whatever will heal him quickest and without long term affects is what we want to do. 

We were told that the surgery is an outpatient procedure, that he should be up and walking and be released the same day.  Then it's just a matter of taking it really, really easy and letting everything heal.

Pro- he is officially retired from roof cleaning.  He will not be going back up there nor would I let him.  His days of manual labor are quickly coming to an end. 

Con- our trip to Utah that we were supposed to take on Monday is currently rescheduled, maybe even cancelled.  It still is in question.  It depends on what options we have to rebook our flight tickets given a medical emergency situation, how fast Dallin is feeling somewhat normal and able to move and be able to manage travelling like that, all based on the outcome of the surgery.  We should know more by tomorrow. 

I left Dallin in the ER at 9pm where they were preparing to move him up to a room.  I had been there for 8 hours and we both felt that the boys (who had been at a friends house for the afternoon) would sleep better at home so I picked them up and brought them home to bed.  Dallin was comfortable when I left.  He had been on pain meds since we got there and they were doing their best to keep him comfortable.  He gave his pain a level 6 when we got there, the morphine brought it down to a 3.  Then they switched him to valium since his muscles were starting to tense and that was better and then one last drug just as I was leaving that the nurse said would give him a buzz like chugging a 6 pack of beer and help him sleep.  Within seconds, he could feel it kicking in.  I hope he sleeps like a baby tonight.  Not sure how much I will be getting. 

How am I doing, you ask?  It's been a stressful day and I am tired.  Perhaps writing this will relax me enough to fall asleep.  When I got the call, I really panicked.  So much that I had some minor contractions so I had to talk myself off the edge just to keep these babies happy.  We are all better now.  I've had a couple meltdown points but am doing okay now.  I feel alot better about the surgery being put off than the thought of us going into Savannah tonight and going under the knife.  Everything happens for a reason. 

But the one word I can give to sum up all my feelings is grateful.  It could have been SO, SO, SO much worse.  One of the first things the doc said to me was that I should go by a lottery ticket because Dallin was in amazing condition for the fall he had taken.  I am grateful that it is only a fracture when it could have been broken bones, ruptured organs, paralysis, or even death.  The Lord truly looked after him.  And I am grateful for the amazing friends that have come to our aid.  I could not have done this day without them.  We are so blessed to have such great people in our lives. 

So please pray.  Pray for the right decision to be made in regard to his healing- surgery or not.  Pray for a quick and sufficient recovery with no lasting affects.  Pray for Dallin's strength and for my strength and comfort.  Pray in gratitude that his life was spared.  And pray that this will be over before we know it.

1 comment:

Maria Olsen said...

Our prayers are with you. It will work out as always. Ankle surgery is not that bad. I had emergency surgery on a compound ankle fracture a few years ago. If he is up and walking soon after, then he has simple break. I feel for you. Keep us posted. I am sorry.