Tuesday, December 8, 2009

My Little Kitchen Helper



Dace loves helping with dishes. This started months ago. As soon as he would hear the clattering of me putting them away, he'd run in wanting to help me do it. At first, I was hesitant because it takes more time, fork by fork, plate by plate. But then I recognized the teaching opportunity and bonding time and so now I call for him every time dishes need to be put away. He loves it and I have fun letting him help and realize we're building a lifelong healthy habit of liking to do dishes.

But he also cleans floors! Here is a story from last week that blew my mind: we were sitting together watching tv once we got home from the church last wednesday and eating some snacks. I gave Dace half an M&M. He ended up dribbling a bit of colored drool onto the carpet and exclaimed "ah-oh!" I looked down and thought nothing of it. I could wipe it up when I cleaned up later. He got up and took off to the kitchen and came back with a washcloth, sat down in front of the spot and started rubbing it away. I sat there watching with my mouth gaping open. What the heck?! This kid is amazing! I never said anything to him about cleaning it up. I remember a few times while we were in the kitchen teaching him to wipe up his drink spills but that was months ago. Wow! So the boy is an avid cleaner. He also cleans up his own toys and messes and now he does carpets too. Who knew? Last night, he drooled on dad's shirt and sure enough he went to the kitchen for a cloth and came back and patted daddy's shirt clean. It is so true- teach them while they are young, and they are never too young to learn.
Dace samples the chocolate cake for the trifle. Trifle will be posted later...

No comments: