Friday, December 18, 2009

I Made Stocking!

If you have never seen Cast Away, my title makes no sense. But if you have, remember the scene where he finally gets his fire going and joyfully exclaims "I...made....FIRE!" Well, that is how I felt after completing these two projects. See, I wanted to get Dace a train stocking, one that would be used for his whole childhood. They have a gorgeous one at PotteryBarn kids but for $26? Thanks, but maybe next year when we're millionaires. So I had to whip one up myself. Thanks to a 3 part video tutorial on youtube (if you're interested, search "Etsy how-to sew a christmas stocking) this turned out beautifully, complete with a seamless liner! It was a huge confidence booster for me in the sewing department. So with that newfound confidence, I decided to tackle making Dace a train quilt. I had these two panels given to me last year and I had kept them with the possibility that Dace might be into trains one day. Talk about intuition. Now, the thing the chalk full of flaws, mostly in the form of bunched seams and sections but it is still cute and was a good practice run for me. By the time I make mission quilts, they will be flawless masterpieces of artistic genius. ;)

And finally, I will let you in on a little secret. I started off 2009 with one overall goal summed up in one word- CREATE. As I sit here, looking at this blanket, the last of projects for Christmas and probably this year, I realize how much I have created and how much fun I have had doing so and all the things I have learned along the way. It's been a good year in that regard. Next year will be even bigger and better. But for now, this is the last of my brag blog. Adieu.