Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Confessions of a pregnant lady

For the record- I would rather be in labor than deal with nausea.  Yes I am serious.  I would rather be having contractions and prepping to push out a baby than feel this constant yuck feeling and have no appetite.  This is so much worse than childbirth. 

Sometimes I feel like a real slacker.  Like everyone else is a trooper with morning sickness, can just power through it, function normally.  I have NO idea how women still work a full time job through this phase of pregnancy. 

Me- I have barely been off the couch or out of bed since Sunday.  If last week was a 3 or 4, the last few days have been a 8, possibly a 9, especially this morning. 

Last week I could still get up and get things done around the house.  Bit by bit of course and with lots of sit down breaks but this week...hardly anything.  The desire is there but i have just been so incredibly nauseous.  and then that crazy starvation every few hours.  NOTHING has piqued my appetite all week which, when you love food as much as i do, is nothing short of a travesty.  Even water has been a challenge to force myself to chug enough throughout the day. 

My ginger has lost its affect, peppermint only calms me for a few minutes.  The best thing that has helped is the real fruit popsicles.  Zade is officially addicted.  He LOVES helping me eat them.  Dace does too.  At least those will calm things down for 10-15 minutes. 

Today around 1pm I hit an all time low.  I was super nauseous, super starving and could think of nothing that sounded good enough to get up off the couch and force down my throat.  I turned into a pansy.  I almost cried for my mom, wanting her to come and take care of me.  I needed a nurse.  Someone to offer me food suggestions, coddle my whiny, whimpering ways, make me cinnamon buns and offer to go to the ends of the earth for anything that sounded remotely appealing enough for me to eat. 

Finally, as a testiment that miracles do exist, things started to turn around around 2-ish.  The nausea subsided and i began CRAVING this awesome bbq chicken salad from one of our favorite cafes.  Dallin was more than happy to get it for me as I took a quick bath and finally got out of my pjs. 

He dropped the salad off and took the boys to the park.  This salad is huge, like massive.  I thought it would last me the rest of the day.  wrong.  so very wrong.  I pounded it.  I don't know the last time something tasted that good.  I was eating so fast that halfway through, I had to take a break.  Actually having food of some substance hit my system skyrocketed my blood sugar level, leaving me a little shaky and with a mild headache.  After my body calmed down, I slowly devoured the rest of it, amazing Dallin beyond belief.  He thinks it's a 2 pound salad and I have had nothing more than a cup of food at a time since last week. 

So after my happy food coma enveloped me whole, I got off my sorry butt and slowly picked up the living room, did a load of laundry, vacuumed the main floor and dusted.  Then the boys got home.  And for the first time in days, I felt human.

My blessing Sunday night said this nausea would be quick and temporary.  I am hoping and praying that today's intensity was the grand finale.  Or at least the beginning to the end.  Do you know how much I have to do over the next few weeks?!

new house- walls to wash, walls to paint, rooms to clean
our house- the house to wash, everything to pack up
boys to entertain
a husband to feed
a talk to write
lessons to prep
businesses to work on, people to hire
etc etc etc

and that's why i have felt like a pansy.  I feel like everyone I know would have just sucked it up and got on with their to-do list but I caved and took a time out.  Thankfully Dallin has been home off and on this week and has been able to help out when needed.  For that, I am eternally grateful.

On another note, I keep thinking about twins.  Yup, the T word.  The weird thing is that I was thinking about them weeks before I even thought I might be pregnant.  The last few nights I have had to get up TWICE to eat a snack because my stomach was growling so bad, I could not fall asleep without eating.  I never had to do that with the boys.  Does my body need that many extra calories because there are two little ones growing in there?  Maybe it's just another extra- estrogen thing or maybe it's just all in my head.  Time will tell. 

okay, I'm done now.  Thanks for listening.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh Tovah, if you only knew how very little I accomplished with morning sickness! I really thought I would never be useful again! I so 100% completely understand what you are going through. And I whined and whined about it, too. It's just SO SO SO hard! I don't know how you're going to accomplish all of those things, but maybe a miracle will happen.

Marisa Hodges said...

I am so sorry to hear how rotten you have been feeling. if it helps, i can totally relate. When i was pregnant with Jackson I felt that way almost the entire pregnancy, it was the hardest thing ever. David even said we would be an only child family if he ever had to watch me go through that again. Luckily Ryan was MUCH easier. Nobody deserves to experience that so hang in there and i hope it gets much better soon!