Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The headboard project

I don't know where I got this idea but I think it is kind of brilliant and wanted to share it with you because I know there are some crafties out there that might want to put this new trick to use.


I wanted to do a custom headboard for Dace to match his quilt and so this is what I did. I bought this matching pillow sham for $12.99 and completely ripped the seams out of it so that back material could be reused. I totally felt like I was doing a challenge on Project Runway. I loved it!




Then we got this used headboard from a thrift store. $19.



With great advice from Kaelee, we used a one inch foam pad, then a layer of quilt batting then a cover material and stapled it all tightly around the back. $17



Ta-da! Looks pretty sweet, huh? Now if this were the final product, it would be a more lively fabric. But I had this idea to make a slipcover for the headboard so that it can be washed easily, changed for halloween, Christmas, or new bedding etc.



Booya! The final product. I took the backing of the original sham and extended the sides to fit the length of the board. Then I used an old sheet as backing and made it like a pillowcase, fitting extremely tight. It is open on the bottom so I can easily pull it off for the wash without dismantling the whole headboard. Genius, if I do say so myself. ;) If anyone does their own, I would love to see pictures. I think it's a great concept. Marketable, really.....

No comments: