Saturday, November 1, 2008

His First Cold

Dace is getting over his first cold. He started getting wheezy the night we got back and by Wednesday night (when we got back from the trunk or treat) he had a fever of 100.4. That was a rough night for the little guy. He was hot, and stuffed up and you could tell he was totally confused as to what was going on in his new little body. I always try to put myself in his shoes when he has new experiences. It must be real crummy to be sick for the first time in your life, especially at the young age of 5 months. I stayed up with him all night, til 5 am. He would only sleep for 20-30 minutes at a time before waking up crying and uncomfortable. At one point Dallin and I were on both sides of him and Dace was holding on to both of our fingers. He laid there whimpering and trying to fall asleep. I got choked up watching him suffer like that, knowing that I was doing everything I could for him but still not being able to take it away. It was then that I had a realization that further strengthened my testimony. One of the most amazing books I have read on the atonement is The Infinite Atonement by Tad R. Callister. One part talks about how Heavenly Father must have went and hid in the furthest corner of His universe when the Savior suffered in Gethsemane. Although my human mind will never, ever comprehend the extent of that sacrifice, in that moment with Dace, I had only the slightest, most mortal glimpse into what it is like for a parent to see a child suffer. And knowing that both of us had to endure it. I have always been so grateful for the power of the atonement but that night, I became grateful for the sacrifice that Heavenly Father made- for allowing his only Begotten to suffer and loving all of us enough to not interfere, even though He could.

No comments: