Saturday, December 18, 2010

No More Baby

Zadek is 10 months old today.  10 months.  No more single digits.  No more baby- all toddler.  He has gone from this teeny, tiny, little 'big baby' born with the most beautiful full head of hair I had ever seen-

to this big big toddler with the thickest head of dark curls I have ever seen-
It's been an interesting day of reflection in that regard.  He is now been living in this world longer than I carried him.  Ten months isn't any significant date but it seems like an end of a chapter for me.  I think it's because it's hard to think of him as a baby anymore.  Because he isn't- he's a toddler.  A toddler weighing in at 24.4 lbs, with 5 teeth, a bubbly, feisty, gleeful personality with the determination to touch everything and who is tired of crawling.  He just wants to walk!  You can see it in his face.  He thinks about taking steps but then backs down and regretfully crawls to his destination.  My dad loves to tell the story of how at nine months, I just stood up one day and ran across the room.  I never walked, they say.  I went from crawling to running.  Guaranteed Zade will be just like his mother in that regard because so much of his other characteristics are from me as well.  Some days that's a good things, others- not so much.  

He was a tougher baby than Dace.  Dace was an angel baby, a textbook baby.  Zade was high maintenance in comparison.  He ate more, slept less, cried more, cuddled less.  But now that he has gained some of that much wanted independence and is sleeping through the night, those frustrating memories fade into the background.  I miss the small baby.  Every mother does.  In that regard, I am ready for another one but in reality, I am not.  There are a few things to take care of before baby #3 is considered and I want some time to just be a 'normal' mom with my boys- not pregnant, not post-partum and not nursing.  Just being me and just being a mom to two awesome little boys who love each other and love their mama.  And that is really all a girl could ever want. 

No comments: