Thursday, October 30, 2014

A Triumphant Therapy in Zions, Part 2 - Observation Point

I decided to stay an extra day before heading home and get one more hike in.  I wanted something else to test me, another 'strenuous' option.  I chose Obersavation Point, 8 miles round trip, over 6500ft at summit and 6+ hours for time according to the guide.  It was on the opposite side from angels landing and further up the road (both of which you must shuttle in during this time of year).

I started at the trailhead at 1035am.  The trail was immediately steep and within seconds i was already panting.  The steep slope finally relented into switchbacks but the intensity did not let up.  I did not know if I was going to be able to make it if it stayed this extreme.  The path was along the mountainside and was completely out in the open which was really messing with my head. I felt a lot more vulnerable than I did yesterday and i was so much closer to ground level.  I stopped at the first trail split and took a seat to evaluate.  I ate my banana, caught my breath and assessed my situation.
Can I really do this?!?!?!

While I sat there, i listened to an older couple having a conversation with a young man.  The couple headed to the right up to a viewpoint just a few switchbacks away.  The East Rim trail, which led to Observation Point, was to the right.  The guy stayed behind, seemingly in the same situation as I was.  I asked if he was heading to the point.  He said, yes that was the goal but he wasn't sure if he could do it.  We both had the same concerns about physical endurance, altitude vulnerability etc but really wanted to make it to summit.  I asked if he wanted to walk with me for a bit and he said sure.  We started walking, single file and hugging mountainside, chatting along the way.  We hit it off instantly.  Our conversation flowed easily and we had a lot in common and similar personalities.  We were instant friends.  His name was Dennis.

Before we knew it, nerves subsided and we were climbing at a steady pace.  The views along the way were just unbelievable.  We got more and more excited as we went because what was the view at summit going to look like, plus we'd have the accomplishment of being able to say "I did it!"  That 'hikers ego' can really kick in sometimes and get you motivated.
entering into the first canyon 

walking on dry river bed inside the canyon 

closeup of River.  

Path out of river continuing to summit.  River is below on the right.  

Almost to summit and we discover stonehenge in the distance.  We named it Zionghenge.  I want to know more!

Finally, we got to Observation Point.  Our time was 2:30.  Not bad at all!  it was quite busy up there.  About 30 people all taking pics and resting and having picnics.  A chorus of different languages and everyone friendly, meeting each other and helping takes pictures.  Outdoor people are always so friendly and happy.  it's all the vitamin D and endorphins and testosterone running through the veins from the strenuous activity.  i love it!  Here's pics from up at the summit:  



We made the descent in 2 hours flat.  So we did the round trip in 4:30, 8 miles, climbing elevation to 6500+ and hiking over 2000ft in gained altitude.

This was one of the best hikes of my life.  i am so glad i finished.  I am glad I met Dennis along the way.  We needed each other to get this done.  isn't it funny how paths cross like that in life?  This was a major win for me that day and in my life at the present moment.  I am so grateful that i can say, see that hike, to that summit?  Yeah i did that and I killed it!

No comments: